Sunday 15 November 2015

Aah ha

This video was shared a couple times during the discussion forums.  Tesia Marshik discusses learning styles and how for years we have bought into having to teach to these learning styles because it is the best way for the student to learn.  Well this is not true, learning styles are a myth. 

Tesia you had me at "olfactory learning" during a Math class!  Discovering this knowledge has become one of my biggest Aah ha moments in this program and taught me valuable lesson when I am thinking about anything and creating beliefs.  I must ask myself does this make sense, what evidence is there, does it create harm and is the information coming from a credible source. 


Learning styles & the importance of critical self-reflection | Tesia Marshik | TEDxUWLaCrosse

I now view learning styles (audio, visual, kinetic) as instructional tools.  Whatever tool I do use will be the best means for delivering the course content, rather than trying to form lessons based on the students preferred learning method.  Learning will be enhanced by varying the multiple modes of delivery, by keeping lessons fresh, increasing student engagement and maximizing understanding. I am committed to using activities that take my students past surface learning to a deeper level, where the real learning is.

No comments:

Post a Comment